Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Date 3 - Life's Too Short to Drink Bad Wine!

Day: Sunday, 9/4/11
Type: Creative/Romantic
Cost: $
Planned By: Dani

For this week's date night I planned a wine tasting. I decided to have an at-home date night because we did a lot of traveling over the weekend and preferred to stay home. It was pretty easy and a lot of fun to plan this date. I have never been on a wine tasting and thought this would be a great start. Adam has been to a couple wine tastings, one was in a castle in France! I'm sure this did not compare, but at least I was there this time!
While Adam finished getting ready for the wine tasting, I set up the dining room table.  We received many different types of wine glasses from the wedding so I pick out one for each type of wine for each of us. I put some tea light candles on the table to set the mood. We also received a glass serving dish for the wedding and I put plain pita chips and cheese on it. I put out the three bottles of wine along with note cards for each bottles telling us something we need to do after trying that bottle of wine. I also made each of us a comment card so we could discuss the wines at the end.

We decided to get three bottles of wine. We actually aren't big fans of wine. Well, we like it but its not our favorite type of drink. We chose the Meier's brand that is made in Ohio which was recommended to us by Laura Bengel! The three types we got were; Haut Sauternes, Pink Catawba, and Concord.


When everything was ready I asked Adam to put on a pop love song radio from Pandora and come in to the dining room. We started our wine tasting by cleansing our palette's with the plain pita chips and water. The first wine was Haut Sauternes. Adam poured us both a little bit of wine. In order to get the right conclusion to a wine you must swirl, smell, then sip. After smelling we toasted to us! We both made comments and then read what we had to do after trying this wine. The notecard said "Kiss in every room in the apartment!" So we did.

When we got back to the dining room we finished the first glass of wine while talking and eating cheese and pita chips. We cleansed our palette's again to get ready for wine #2; Pink Catawba. We again swirled, smelled, toasted to a long happy life together, then sipped. After writing our comments we read what the note card said to do. It said, "Dance to our song!" Our song is So Close by Jon McLaughlin. We had a nice time dancing together in the living room.
Then third and last bottle of wine was Concord.  We again swirled, smelled, toasted to many more date nights, and sipped. After making comments we read the note card that said, "Finish your favorite bottle of wine!" Therefore we had to discuss each of the wines to determine which bottles we were each going to drink. Here are some of our best comments.

Adam's Comments:
Wine #1 (Haut Sauternes): This wine had a strong ending taste, looked and tasted light, and it tasted good with the cheese. He first rated this wine an 8/10, but over time it became a 6/10. He concluded, "This wine doesn't age well."
Wine #2 (Pink Catawba): "This wine is smelly, but in a good way", and he also thought it was smooth. He rated it an 8/10.
Wine #3 (Concord): "I thought the last wine was smelly but this one was really smelly, but really good!" He concluded it tasted like grape juice with kick! He rated it a 9/10.


Dani's Comments:
Wine #1 (Haut Sauternes): Smells pretty sweet, smooth going down, but has a grainy/bad/dry after taste. I rated this wine a 5/10.
Wine #2 (Pink Catawba): Smells a little bitter, has a very strong first taste, "I could really taste it right when it hit my tongue", it tasted sweet from the moment it hit my tongue until it went down my throat. I rated this wine an 8/10
Wine #3 (Concord): I was expecting this to be my favorite, but it was really sweet, smelled like grapes, was kind of thick, and was sour on my throat. I rated it a 7/10.

Luckily, we had different favorite wines. Adam's favorite wine was the Concord and my favorite was the Pink Catawba. So we had to finish the bottle and then we shared the Haut Sauternes. So we finished our wines and finished the pita chips and cheese while talking and listening to the love songs.


Overall, this date was great! I am very proud of my creativity. Now as you could probably tell this was not the most professional wine tasting, but it was a lot of fun to pretend to be at a wine tasting together. Now everyone should either try their own wine tasting or at least try Meier's Wine!

Ratings: 
Meier's Haut Sauternes: 5.5/10
Meier's Pink Catawba: 8/10
Meier's Concord: 8/10
Meier's Wine: 8/10, although Haut Sauternes was rated much lower the wine overall was great. It was also inexpensive!

1 comment:

  1. you are such losers.. the kissing pictures.. really? hahahaha.. seriously where is the bad date??

    ReplyDelete